Thursday, May 28, 2015

Year One -- Paper

I have several obsessions.  One of them of course is stamping and paper crafting, another is garlands.  I can't get enough of them and I keep making more and more.  So, why not make a garland to feature photos for a wedding anniversary gift?  It's the perfect idea since the traditional gift for a first year anniversary is paper.  Because I am a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator what better idea than to give a gift of cardstock paper, designer series paper, and filter paper all put together in a fun way.

As I finished the last few details on this gifty garland I got all full of smiles and even reached over my shoulder to pat my back ;0)  The blend of products, the colors, and the softness of the ribbons work so well with my favorite wedding pictures.  The form and functionality of the clothes pins allows for easy rearranging and adding of more photos.  And the handmade paper flowers add an element of soft whimsy.
To make the garland: 
  • Select (5) sheets of 12" x 12" Designer Series Paper.
  • Score each piece of paper every 1".
  • Accordion fold back and forth on each score line.
  • Glue one end of the folds together on both sides of the paper.
  • String together with ribbon(s).

To make the filter paper flowers:
  • Cut (9) of the larger petals and (9) of the smaller petals using the Bouquet Bigz L Die.
  • Color each petal by spritzing a mix of ink refill and rubbing alcohol.  I used both Pink Pirohuette, in one Mini Mister, and Crumb Cake in another.  The blue flowers are both Pool Party and Crumb Cake.
  • Pleat the ends of each petal and adhere with hot glue.  Glue (5) of the large petals together for the bottom layer then glue the remaining (4) petals to make the next layer.
  • Repeat the above step with the smaller petals and glue to top of larger petal layers.
  • Cut (8-10) of the fringy pieces for the flower centers, spritz them with ink, and glue to center of flowers.
  • Add Dazzling Diamonds Glitter to each finished flower.  I use cheap hair spray as an adhesive.



3 comments: